Welcome TO College Counseling News
Winter Break is Around the Corner!
In this post:
- Winter Break
- PSAT (October) and Mock PSAT/SAT (November) Score Reports Available
- Parents’ Morning Meeting This Wednesday
- Canadian University Mini Fair
- SAT & ACT Registration
- Terminales: Last-Minute Application Tips and Reminders
Following the students’ schedule, I will be on winter break from December 17th through January 2nd. Mme. Bessaha will be away starting December 23rd. We will return to the office on Tuesday, January 3rd. If you have any lingering questions, please take this opportunity to contact me before the break.
PSAT (October) and Mock PSAT/SAT (November) Score Reports Available
All score reports and test booklets can now be picked up at the vie scolaire front desk. Troisièmes can pick up their mock PSAT reports in the College. Secondes’ and premières’ PSAT/mock SAT reports are in the Lycée. These results are from the mock PSATs and SATs (which all students in troisième, seconde, and première took on November 10 and 11) and the PSAT (which some seconde and première students took on October 19).
All score reports and test booklets should be picked up by the end of the day on Thursday, January 19. After that date, scores will still be available upon request; but paper reports/booklets will not. For mock tests, I have a record of the scores. For PSAT/NMSQT, students can set up a free College Board account at any time to access their score report.
Parents’ Morning Meeting This Wednesday
Please join me this Wednesday, December 14th, to discuss standardized testing. Meeting time is 8:30am in the large conference room, administration building (room 212). We will talk about the various tests required for university admission, particularly in the US: SAT, ACT, subject tests, etc.
Please also mark your calendar for the next meeting: Wednesday, January 25 at 8:30am in the large conference room, administration building (room 212). Topic: community service and extracurricular activities. Richard Tripp, Dean of Students, will join me in leading this discussion.
Canadian University Mini Fair
Tuesday, January 24th
6:00 to 7:30pm
Concordia and several other Canadian universities (to be determined) will visit Rochambeau. Students and parents are invited to learn more about these institutions. Meet the admissions representatives, collect informational materials, and ask questions.
SAT & ACT Registration
Both SAT & ACT are offered multiple times throughout the school year. The next opportunity to take the SAT is January 21st, registration deadline December 21st. The next ACT is February 11th, registration deadline January 13th. Many students take their first SAT/ACT in the winter of première. Remember, students can take free weekend practice tests at PrepMatters in Bethesda.
Terminales: Last-Minute Application Tips and Reminders
- Paying the application fee is not the same thing as submitting the application. Be sure to click “submit” for each school, and to submit any required writing supplements. In Common Application, before you submit each application you’ll have an opportunity to save a PDF of your application.
- Prevent panic due to technical problems. Don’t wait until the evening of the deadline to submit your application!
- Any remaining teachers’ recommendations completed after today will be sent to universities after we return to school. It is students’ responsibility to follow up with any teachers whose letters are still needed.
- Check your application status with each university to ensure they have received all your required documents. Most universities have an online portal where you can see your status. Some universities email notifications to students if their files are incomplete, but some don’t. So, make sure to check frequently.
- You must request to have official scores (SAT/ACT, TOEFL/IELTS, etc.) sent from the testing agency to each university, if applicable. Self-reporting your scores on an application is not sufficient.
- Lastly, if you’ve heard positive news from any of your universities, please let me know.
Choose groups to clone to: