Welcome TO College Counseling News
Terminale Deadlines, Mock Tests Reminder, etc.
In this post:
- University Visits
- Parents’ Morning Meeting
- Mandatory Mock Tests November 10 & 11 - reminder
- Summer Program Information Session
- Poetry Contest Opportunity for Secondes and Premières
- Leadership Program Opportunity for Troisièmes, Secondes, and Premières
- Terminales: University List and Student Responsibilities
- Terminales: UK Applications
- Terminales: Upcoming Deadline for University of California
Opportunities for students to learn more about schools. Students should ask their teacher for permission to attend. Sessions are at 12:30pm in La Grande Salle de Reunion, room 212, upstairs in the Administration Building.
- Sciences Po & Columbia University Dual BA Program - Wednesday, November 9
- St. Mary’s College of Maryland - Monday, November 14
- The New School (New York City) - Friday, November 18
Parents’ Morning Meeting
The next meeting will be Wednesday, November 16 at 8:30am in the large conference room, administration building (room 212). Topic: the Common Application (US application system) and UCAS (UK application system). Please let me know of any topics you would like to see covered at future meetings.
Mandatory Mock Tests November 10 & 11 - reminder
All students in troisième, seconde, and première will take a mock standardized test in school this week. Troisièmes will take a practice PSAT on November 10, and secondes and premières will take a practice SAT on November 11. These mock tests are mandatory and are part of the normal school day for all students; tests will begin at 8:30am and replace regular classes that morning. Students will receive instructions about room assignments closer to the test date. Students should bring number 2 pencils and a calculator.
This test is free of charge and will be practice only; results will not be sent to universities. This is a way for students to get acquainted with these American-style tests, to see which areas are strong for them and which areas may need improvement (even if at this point your child does not plan to apply to US institutions for university). Our school also uses these scores as a "baseline" to predict how each student may perform on the real tests later, to counsel families on appropriate college choices, and to understand how we can better prepare students. No advance preparation is needed or expected.
The PSAT is a practice SAT. Many students take PSAT 10 (specifically for secondes) in the late winter/early spring of seconde, and PSAT in the fall of première. The SAT (along with the ACT) is used in the university admission process for most US and some international institutions. It has two main sections, Critical Reading and Math. Historically, SAT is more commonly taken than ACT by our students; although both tests are accepted and treated equally by universities. Families are encouraged to look into both tests, and students can try some practice tests for both. Free practice SAT and ACT exams are offered by local test-prep agency PrepMatters on the weekends:
Summer Program Information Session
Oxbridge Academic Programs
Attend a reception to learn more about these programs in Europe and the US.
Friday, December 9th
7:00 to 9:00pm
The Westin Georgetown, Logan Room. 2350 M Street NW, Washington, DC
Students in seconde and première are invited to enter the Patricia Grodd Poetry Prize for Young Writers contest, presented by the Kenyon Review, one of the country’s most respected literary magazines. If you are the winner or one of the two runners-up, you will see your poem published in the Review’s bi-monthly journal and on their website. In addition, the winner receives a full scholarship to the 2017 Kenyon Review Young Writers Workshop in Gambier, Ohio, next summer.
Contest entry. The submission button will be live between November 1 and 30. Limit of one unpublished poem and one entry per person.
Leadership Program Opportunity for Troisièmes, Secondes, and Premières
The National Student Leadership Conference is accepting applications. At NSLC, students can meet with prominent national and world leaders, learn about careers, experience life on a college campus, and earn college credit.
The foundation seeks students who have demonstrated academic excellence (at least a “B” average, equivalent to approximately 11 overall), extracurricular involvement, and leadership potential. More information
Terminales: University List and Student Responsibilities
November 1 was the deadline to receive the University List for ANY AND ALL university choices (US, UK, and Canada). This list is needed for us to prepare and send your transcripts/bulletins and other documents to each university. Please keep in mind the other counseling deadlines.
Remember that it is the student’s responsibility to:
- Submit application and application fee to each university, along with any required essays, list of activities, etc. Refer to the attached Application Systems Instructions.
- Request to have official scores (SAT/ACT, TOEFL/IELTS, etc.) sent from the testing agency to each university, if required. Self-reporting your scores on an application is not sufficient; you’ll need to have the official scores sent.
- Complete Naviance/Common App “matching” process and select your application method in Naviance (when applicable).
- Check your application status with each university to ensure they have received all your required documents. Most universities have an online portal (like McGill’s Minerva system) where you can see your status. Some universities email notifications to students if their files are incomplete, but some don’t (including McGill!). So, make sure to check frequently.
- Follow up with your teachers, if necessary, regarding recommendation letters and deadlines.
Terminales: UK Applications
The deadline is December 15 to finish and submit your part of the UCAS application. Teacher recommendation letters should be submitted to Naviance by December 1. Refer to the Application Systems Instructions for more details on filling out UCAS.
Terminales: Upcoming Deadline for University of California
The UC schools are now accepting applications. You can submit your application anytime in the month of November (deadline: November 30). Refer to the Application Systems Instructions for more details on filling out the UC application.
Choose groups to clone to: