Experience United States Culture!
Welcome to Rochambeau, the French International School!
An essential part of your experience in the United States will be taking part in the life of the community around you. Your teaching at Rochambeau, the French International School (Rochambeau) is very important, but it is also important that you occasionally step out of the classroom.
Meeting people, participating in activities, and exploring the history and culture of your temporary United States home will enrich your stay and allow you to gain a deeper understanding of American culture. The people you come in contact with may also want to learn about your culture, as well as your country’s history, and maybe even your language. These conversations may lead to friendships, and friends will make your experience here more enjoyable, so don’t be shy.
The following web pages will help guide you on a discovery of the many opportunities for recreation, education, social and cultural activities, local excursions and entertainment offered by Rochambeau and outside organizations. The School’s orientation for new international employees and their families is offered annually at the Back-to-School program including cultural and diversity awareness programs. Perhaps you will choose one of the excursions or activities organized by the Advancement Department. In springtime, be sure to coordinate with your family, and friends to participate in Spring Fair, Rochambeau’s international festival.
Whether you have a free hour or a whole afternoon, the opportunity to discover new things is just steps away. You are sure to find worthwhile activities based on your own interests: history, music, fine arts, movies, food, architecture, sports or something else.
The links also provide information about attractions and things to do in Washington, DC, the nation’s capital. Find information on the Smithsonian, the National Mall, museums, monuments, government buildings, sightseeing tours, national landmarks, special events, and much more. Find information for things to do in the Washington, DC area including the suburbs of Maryland and Virginia.
Perhaps you have a little more time and can spend a weekend exploring the national parks, monuments and trails of the metropolitan Washington, DC area. Whatever your schedule or budget allows, you will find something on these pages that interests you.
- Rochambeau Calendar >>
- Rochambeau Clubs >>
- Parents Association >>
- Alumni Community >>
- Rochambeau Events >>
Rochambeau, the French International School, provides sponsored J-1 exchange visitors the following cross-cultural activities:
- Relocation and cultural integration information to the United States
- Annual Back-to-School Conference and Cultural Diversity Workshop
- Periodic orientation meetings with faculty and families
- Weekly electronic newsletters announcing Rochambeau information and social events
- French-American Social Events at Rochambeau with the 3 campuses
- Wellness Yoga and Meditation classes for faculty and staff
- Parent Association of Rochambeau Events
- Teacher Project Initiative
- New Family Welcome Program
- Galette des rois, etc.
- French and English Department teachers organize several Balls and events during school year.
- Alumni Association Conference
- Departmental luncheons and other events
- Campus Cultural events including: la Grande Lessive, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Talent show, Galette des rois, Rochamposte, Spring Fair etc...
- Periodic academic lecture series available across the Rochambeau community through Association of Independent Maryland & Washington DC School (AIMS)
Rochambeau also partners with the Advancement/Development Department, the French Embassy, and Bethesda Up! to announce social and cultural programming within the metropolitan Washington, DC area, and provides other resources to our international population.
If you would like to join the Rochambeau Community, we will be happy to welcome you. Come and be part of the adventure!