Admissions POLICY AND PROCEDURES
The mission of Rochambeau is to create a multicultural learning environment built on a rigorous French curriculum accredited by the French Ministry of Education. Read more
Rochambeau The French International School admits qualified students of all nationalities, race, origin, or economic status to all the programs and activities made available to the students by the school.
Rochambeau The French International school is looking for students who:
- value the French education and curriculum
- demonstrate age appropriate academic performance
- are motivated, positive and internationally-minded
- act in a way that is respectful of self and others
- enrich and contribute to the Rochambeau community
- believe in the Rochambeau vision, mission and values
New Applicants: The admission application is an online process. Please see sections below for online forms, required documents, and links.
Enrolled students: Re-enrollment for our enrolled students opens after the board has validated the tuition and transportation fees for the following school year. Rochambeau reserves the right to deny continued enrollment or re-enrollment to any student in accordance with the Annual Tuition and Fees Contract.
All admissions applications must be submitted online using the link provided below.
Begins: November 1, 2018
Applications are still being accepted on a rolling admissions basis
- A completed application form including the $100 non-refundable application fee paid online with a bank card.
- A recent photo of your child
- Scan of your child's birth certificate or a valid passport
- A letter of motivation by the parents outlining the reasons for applying to Rochambeau. Please elaborate your choice of the French language and curriculum and how it fits with your child and family's plan.
- A scan of your child's current year and previous year's report cards or evaluation reports.
- A recommendation form from a teacher or caretaker.
- If your child is applying for 6th through 12th grade, he/she must submit a short (two paragraphs maximum), handwritten motivation letter in French. It should include their academic and personal interests.
- If your child is applying for 11th (1ère) through 12th grade (Terminale), 8th (4ème) and 9th (3ème) grade report cards are required.
- If you child is applying for the OIB program in Lycée (10th-12th grade) please submit two critical literary writing compositions of around 250 words corrected by this year's English teacher
The admissions process starts with understanding if your child is eligible to apply in terms of age and language requirements.
Minimum age requirements to enter Preschool and Elementary School
The French Education system runs on the calendar year. With the exception of early pre-school, students must be 3-years old by December 31 to enter into Pre-school at the start of the academic year. Children entering the early pre-school must be 2-years old at the start of the academic year, or before September 1st.
Please review the chart that will help you determine to which grade your child should apply.
Applying to French Grade
Must turn age
If you are applying from a non-French school that does not have the same age requirements, the final grade will be determined by the student assessment, teacher evaluations, and report cards.
• From Nursery (Age 2) to 3rd grade: there is no language prerequisite. Students in the Maternelle (pre-school - K) are immersed in the French and English classes. Beginners receive language language reinforcement. In Elementary school (1st-3rd grade), non-French speaking children enter into a special French Immersion program.
• 4th grade through 12th: Students must demonstrate age-appropriate understanding and linguistic competence in French. Students must pass a French language and Math entry evaluation.
• English in not a prerequisite for any grades. As of 2nd grade, students are evaluated in English and placed in their level (beginner, intermediate, proficient/native)
Rochambeau offers the French curriculum with a strong native-level English component. Children will be learning in two languages and exposed to different pedagogical methods. This enriching, yet ambitious objective means that the student and his/her family must be highly motivated and open-minded, ready to take on the challenges of Rochambeau's pedagogical philosophy.
International Option of the French Bac (OIB)
The OIB and OIB prepartory classes are offered starting in 10th grade. Requirements for this option are:
- Excellent overall academic record
- Strong written and oral English skills
Supplements are required in the application, and students will be tested and interviewed to confirm acceptance.
• All students coming from a school accredited by the French Ministry of Education (Schools in France, AEFE, RMLF) are accepted based on their school records. Rochambeau reserves the right on a case by case basis to offer a conditional acceptance, request additional teacher recommendation, interviews, or require additional school work, or deny admissions. English and foreign language evaluations will be given to place the children in the English and foreign language classes during the first week of school.
• Students applying to 1st grade through 12th, coming from a school not accredited by the French Ministry of Education, such as a local private or public US school, a French Immersion school, or a European school must take an entrance exam in French and Math, and other subjects depending upon the grade or choice of baccalauréat to validate admissions.
• Students applying to the maternelle not attending a school or daycare not accredited by the French Ministry of Education may be invited to attend an observation session.
Testing dates are in January and February. Dates to be communicated
For students living abroad, exams may be organized by a local accredited AEFE school, or in the summer before the start of school. Conditional acceptances will be made based on admissions application.
The Admissions Office will contact your family to set up an appointment for the evaluation
The admissions committee will send out decision letters in early March to applicants.
The acceptance letter to qualifying applications will provide a link and password to access our online enrollment form and contract to officially enroll your child(ren) at our school.
Your child(ren)'s enrollment is considered official once we receive the following:
- Completed Online Enrollment form
- Enrollment and registration fees
- First-time enrollment fee of $2,000 (this is a one-time fee per family; it is non-refundable and non-deductible from tuition fees)
- Annual registration fee per child of $1500 (early bird fee proposed at $650 )
3. If you are financing the tuition, a FACTS Agreement number issued by the FACTS TUITION MANAGEMENT system. To open an account FACTS, click here
- Facts Tuition Management is a mechanism for the payment of tuition allowing you to pay in full or in monthly installments. If you do not currently have a US bank account FACTS will prompt you to pay through Flywire(service provider for international payments).
4. If your company is covering tuition costs, you will indicate the contact and billing information on the payment section of the enrollment form.
We are very excited to welcome you to Rochambeau, The French International School.
For many of you, this will be a big change, either because you are moving to a new country, a new home, or simply a new school. We strive to accompany you through this transition with the support of the Rochambeau community.
Please review the information below. More information will be updated over the next months and before the 1st day of school on August 28th.
- June: Access codes to Rochambeau Parent portal and SNAP health portal is sent to families
- June 1: deadline to register for transportation to ride at the start of the school year.
- Saturday June 15: Spring Fair on Rochambeau Forest Campus. New family reception at 11:30am in the library (CDI).
- Mid-June: deadline to order books for middle and high school (6th – 12th grade). Details posted online in June.
- July 1: Medical forms due
- July 15: End of year report cards must be submitted to admissions: documents
- Friday, August 23: New family orientation for 5th grade – 12th grade (CM2 –T) from 2-5pm.
- Monday, August 26: New family orientation for Maternelle (Nursery-K) from 9am – 12pm; for Elementary (1st – 4th grade) from 2pm – 5pm.
> Tuition payments begin in June. For parents paying directly, you must open a FACTS (US Bank) or FLYWIRE (International) account. If your employer is paying, please ensure that we have the correct contact information. Information For all questions: email@example.com
> Medical information A Health certificate and immunization form are required by Maryland State law to start school. The forms must be submitted online by July 1st on the SNAP health portal. Please see information for requirements per grade level. We encourage you to complete the medical forms with your local doctor in your country. Students will not be allowed to attend school without the proper medical forms. For all questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Final report cards: All last semester/trimester report cards are to be submitted by July 15. For students coming from in US Middle or High school, please request an official transcript from the registrar’s office. The exeat is only required from students coming from French or AEFE schools. These documents are required for admissions.
Other useful information
> Visiting the school: Since many of our families are coming from all over the world, an orientation day is planned before the start of school. This is the best way time to discover the school and meet staff and teachers and other families. There is no visits of the campuses organized over the summer.
> Parent ambassadors: volunteer parents will be reaching out to the new families via email. They are there to help facilitate your transition to Rochambeau. For issues regarding admissions, billing, medical information or transportation, or other specific questions, please contact the Rochambeau school contact.
> Supply lists and books and summer reading: Information is posted on the parent portal in June.
> Club activities and after school study hall or care (only available as of 1st grade): Registration and information will be sent in August.
- TPS/Nursery - K/Grande section - Maternelle - Bradley Campus
- 1st/CP - 4th/CM1 - Rollingwood Campus
- 5th/CM2 - 12th/Term - Forest Campus
Nouveau dans la région
Site utile pour francophones | Useful sites for Francofiles
- Maman autour de DC (google group)
- Rochambeau parents (google group)
- Washington Accueil
- Alliance Française
Books and supplies: email@example.com
Rochambeau operates on the French School calendar. School calendar A welcome day is organized before the start of school for the new families